Style Secrets: Dress Your Age (Ladies)-20′s
Age appropriate: what does this even mean?
Well for many women the idea of revealing her age is a problem in and of itself. We are certainly not suggesting that you wear a placard above your head with your age written on it. What we do suggest is that you consider is the stage of life that you are in, your lifestyle, your budget, your body and your personality in determining the suitableness of clothing you choose to wear. There are far too many women prancing around looking like they borrowed other people’s clothing. Most of her audience can see that she is not in her skin. Over the next series of posts we will explore the age-appropriateness of style focusing on a particular decade. Today, we focus on the roaring 20′s…the age of exploration.
20′s: Age of Exploration
Being in your 20′s is fun right? Well, some young women might not think so as they are going through this phase because it can actually be a bit daunting. Many nter their 20′s with very little knowledge of who they truly are, what their likes and dislikes are, what truly suits their personality and/or lifestyle, a clear vision for their future. Reason being most of these factors (as will be later discovered) are ‘under construction’.
What’s happening now: Early 20′s means you are probably entering or participating in postsecondary education or the workforce. It also means that you are probably taking the process of mating, a bit more seriously. Some young ladies start the search for their future husband prospects really early while others just have fun dating whomever, without expectations. You’re also likely to be developing a social circle and spending quality time with friends. Most importantly you are discovering who you are and hopefully enjoying this phase to the fullest.
What you can get away with: Being as creative as you want to be! Go ahead explore. Your body is probably in the best shape that it will ever be in so use this to your advantage. This doesn’t mean that you let it all hang out, but gracefully show a tiny bit of what your momma gave ya, without showing it all off if you know what I mean.
What you should probably let go of:
- ‘Hello kitty’…yup, you’re not 12.
- Pigtails…you’re not 12
- Really, really, skimpy clothing that reveals everything
- Pajama pants in public (this should never be done but people do, so I just wanted to say…stop)
- Track pants with saggy bottoms (yes they may work for a night when you are studying in the dorm long and hard but they are never a good look outdoors)
- All pink everything. Seriously, you’re not 12
- Beginning in your mid-20′s you should probably start to get rid of the all day casual attire and begin to build a career wardrobe. Hopefully you are looking for a career. If that’s not your goal then perhaps the casual look will work just fine.
Style inspiration for your 20′s:
Stay tuned: 30′s: Coming into your own…