Here is what I mean…The weather is warming up and some of us know that with warm weather comes feelings of excitement about clothing and fashion.
If you work in an office/professional environment it is very important that you understand that getting too comfortable with clothing on a Friday can make you appear extremely unprofessional. In this post I have chosen to list my top 10 don’ts for casual Fridays (in no particular order because in my opinion—they are all infractions).
1. Don’t wear anything that you could wear to the park, the garbage chute, your child’s baseball practice etc. par example..
2. Don’t walk out of the house with unkempt hair
3. Don’t wear flip flops, slippers, dirty running shoes, Crocs, Uggs or excessively dramatic heels
4. Don’t wear excessive perfume or fragrances
Some people underestimate the effects of chemicals but if you can smell your own perfume chances are you are wearing too much. In confined spaces this can wreak havoc for someone with a scent sensitivity. Be considerate of your colleagues and leave the fragrance at home.
5. Please don’t wear short shorts (daisy dukes) of any kind
6. Don’t wear mom jeans…please I beg you…burn them
7. Don’t…please don’t wear revealing clothing, club wear or leggings…please.
If your skin or body parts are on display, it is a distraction. Let’s be real-people will stare, gawk, comment whatever the case may be. Is it inappropriate of them…yes, but so is your decision to wear something like this to the office…
8. Don’t wear elaborate or excessive makeup
If your makeup can be mistaken for something worn by a circus peformer then you have probably overdone it. Leave the face painting for the weekend, matter of fact-leave the face painting period. Makeup should enhance not disfigure a woman.
9. Don’t wear torn denim. In some work environments it is acceptable to wear jeans so if that is your office culture just remember keep them clean, dark and loose. This is unacceptable for any work environment…
10. Don’t…please don’t wear pyjama (pajama) bottoms or anything that resembles such
This should be a no-brainer but let’s put it this way there have been many people walking around demonstrating that they are lacking brain power. This is an absolute no-no
Please take my advice and clean things up for casual Fridays. I am trying to save people from potentially embarrassing conversations with their managers about what they should and should not wear to work.
A good thing to ask yourself when getting dressed for work is “will the clothes that I am wearing today positively reflect the company that I am working for?” If the answer is no…then you should leave it at home.
For tips on how to dress appropriately for casual Fridays visit www.workchic.com and check out their ‘Business Casual’ section for pointers on how it should be done.