CLOSET DECLUTTER 101- The Monster that IS your closet!
Oh Spring is finally here. All of a sudden you’ve noticed that your weekends are quickly getting booked up. You have parties and dinners to attend or perhaps you are just planning outings to make sure that you have places to go while the weather is beautiful.
One problem: you have nothing to wear!
What do you do when your trusty wardrobe is no longer trusty? Clothes are no longer fitting your body the way they used to or you simply forgot what it means to be “in style”? Perhaps you have a lot of clothes but nothing seems to go with one another.
No need to fear…a wardrobe declutter is your answer
1. Take an honest look at your wardrobe and take inventory. Are there basic items that you can get good wears out of ie. blazers, jackets, blouses, neutral toned pants. If so, tag these as investment pieces and organize them in your closet, first according to type of garment and next according to colour.
2. Are there items that are nice but no longer fit your body due to body fluctuations? If so, consider taking them in for alterations. There are a few local alteration specialists that can assist you.
3. If items are left over that cannot fit you, are not worth altering and simply do not add value to your wardrobe get rid of them. It is a good idea to also remove any items that are out of season to rid yourself of the additional clutter. Box up the fall and winter clothes to give you a clear idea as to your true wardrobe needs.
4. After you get rid of items it’s time to rebuild. Shop on consignment, barter or if you must shop go to stylish retailers. Purchase items that are missing from your wardrobe such as blouses, camisoles, layering pieces, or a modern pair of shoes. One retailer that I have fallen in love with is Joe Fresh. Price points are generally low to moderate. Now if you ask me, that’s a steal. Not to mention the clothes are uber-stylish. Oh- and they are right in your backyard.
5. Coordinate with accessories. Those basics that you identified earlier could use a bit of a lift to bring them up to date. Consider purchasing some cool jewelry, a nice purse or cool shoes to update the look.
If all of this sounds too painful or overwhelming for you to do by yourself, consider working with me, an experienced Image Consultant. I can go through your wardrobe with you, and develop a strategy that will result in you having a functional, stylish and chic wardrobe.
To find out more about Teca Cameron Image Management Agency visit www.tecacameron.com or contact me at (416) 342-9577.